* The Blackhawks finished up the 2010-11 campaign by going
just 7-6-3 in their last 16 games and grabbing the No. 8 seed in the West, one
season after winning the Stanley Cup. Chicago
was bounced out of the playoffs in the first round by the Canucks after
stretching the series to seven games.
* Despite finishing with 95 points in 2010-11, the Stars missed the postseason for the third straight season - their longest playoff drought since moving from Minnesota to Texas in 1993-94. Dallas is 9-2-4-2 in season-openers since the move - tied for the best record in the league.
* The Stars took three of four from Chicago last season, outscoring the Blackhawks by a combined 15-10 in the process. The two clubs have split their last eight games in Dallas, each scoring a total of 30 goals in those contests.
* Jonathan Toews led the Blackhawks in scoring last year with a new career-high of 76 points (32g, 44a). That said, the 23-year forward had just two points (both goals) in his last nine regular-season games of 2010-11.
* Dallas lost its leading scorer the last two years, Brad Richards, to the Rangers via free agency, and are also without their coach, Marc Crawford, who was fired after the season. Glen Gulutzan enters the 2011-12 NHL season as the 21st head coach in Stars franchise history, and the 19th to be hired by the club with no previous NHL experience.
* Dallas finished the 2011 preseason with a 6-1-0 record. It was the first time since the club moved to Texas that the Stars have won that many games in a single preseason.